We hope you are looking forward to this year’s Festival – we are incredibly excited to welcome you back and are looking forward to hosting some of Canterbury’s first live events since lockdown. We are working very hard to ensure that events can take place as safely as possible but also need your help to keep risk at a minimum.
Below you will find information about each of our venues with information about access, opening times and more. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the Festival office on 01227 452853 or by emailing [email protected]
General information for all venues
In order to deliver events as safely as possible, a number of measures will be in place across all venues – we ask that you follow the instructions below:
- The wearing of masks will be mandatory at all times. Please wear your mask when queuing, when seated and when using venue facilities. Children aged 11+ will be required to wear masks when attending Festival events.
- Festival staff will not be handling paper tickets but please bring them with you for reference. Maintaining a 1m + distance, staff (wearing masks) will check you off against our attendee list.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19, or have been advised to self-isolate following contact with someone with symptoms of COVID-19 – do not attend this event.
- Ticket holders are asked to arrive in their bubble and queue in a socially distant manner.
- Hand sanitiser will be available upon entrance, please use it before entering the venue.
- Each venue will have a track and trace QR code outside the main entrance. If you have the NHS Track and Tracing app, we encourage you scan the code on entry.
- Doors will open a maximum of 45 mins before each event.
- Please do not mingle with other bubbles when attending an event. It is important that you sit in your allocated seat to ensure social distancing is adhered to.
- There will be lavatory access at all events but customers are asked to limit movement around venues unless absolutely necessary.
- At the end of each event the audience are asked to remain in their seats until their section is shown out by a steward.
- The majority of performances will last approximately one hour with no interval.
- For author talks, books will be available to purchase prior to the event online or in-person on the day. If you wish to purchase or collect a book, please remain in your seat after the event and you will be guided by staff. We are unable to guarantee that book signings will take place. Books can be pre-ordered here
Canterbury Cathedral Nave
Cathedral House, 11 The Precincts, Canterbury C11 2EH
- Bookers for events taking place at Canterbury Cathedral will be contacted prior to the performance with their seat numbers and event information.
- Entry to the Cathedral can be made by the South West door only. Wheelchair users will be able to access the Nave via the North door. A one-way system will be in place and audiences will be asked to exit via the South door.
- No merchandise will be available at events but links can be found on the Canterbury Festival event page.
The Precincts, Canterbury CT1 2EH
- The Cathedral Lodge can be accessed via Christchurch Gate.
- A one-way system will be in place and all seats will be numbered.
- Books will be available to purchase prior to the event online or in-person on the day. If you wish to purchase or collect a book, please remain in your seat after the event and you will be guided by staff. Book signing is not guaranteed.
- Regretfully no bar is available for this event.
Shirley Hall, The King’s School
Through Mint Yard, The Borough, Canterbury CT1 2EZ
- Access to the Shirley Hall is by the main entrance steps only. A lift is available for audience members who require it.
- Please be aware a one-way system will be in operation to avoid audience cross-over.
- Please wrap-up – the venue will be heated but due to the age the building we will have windows open to ensure that it remains ventilated.
- We regret that the bar will not be open but bottled water will be available for a small donation.
- If you are attending multiple events one after another, the social space beneath the hall will be available for you to wait in but please note there will be no refreshments on sale.
- Toilet facilities are available on the ground floor beneath the hall – team members will be on hand to manage queues. For convenience, please access facilities before climbing steps to Hall.
- Books will be available to purchase prior to the event online or in-person on the day. If you wish to purchase or collect a book, please remain in your seat after the event and you will be guided by staff. We are unable to guarantee that book signings will take place.
Great Hall, Kent College
Canterbury CT2 9DT
- Event parking is available for up to 80 cars to the rear of the site. There will be a sign on Whitstable Road directing you to the car park. Turn off Whitstable road onto Neal’s Place Road, then take the first available right turning. There is a fully accessible path directly from the carpark to the venue. Signage and staff will be in place to help guide you.
- Please enter using the main entrance.
- A one-way system will be in place across the venue and staff will be available to help guide you.
- Please be considerate of other audience members sharing your aisle and allow them to pass. This may require you to step out of your seats momentarily.
- The Great Hall will be running a pre-order at-seat refreshment service. To pre order your drinks email [email protected] with your selection from the list below along with your seat number. You will then receive a PayPal invoice for the full amount and once payment has been made a confirmation will be sent. Your drinks will be located at your seat before the start of the event.
– Whitstable Bay Blond (330ml) – £3.50
– Whitstable Bay Pale Ale (500ml) – £4.50
– Gin & Tonic (200ml) – £4.50
– White Wine (187ml) – £4.50
– Kingsdown Still/Sparkling Water – £1.50
– Hartley’s Orange Juice – £2.50
– Biddenden Cloudy Apple Juice – £2.50
Malthouse Theatre, Canterbury CT2 7JA
- Parking is available on-site and the venue is fully accessible.
- Staff will be available on the night to help guide you to your seats.
- Regretfully there will be no bar facilities.
- Merchandise will be available to purchase at all three events.
- If you require the toilets, please use them before or after the performance. They will be operated on a one-in and one-out basis.
Westgate Hall Rd, Canterbury CT1 2BT
- Entry for all events can be made by the Pound Lane Car Park entrance only.
- The venue is fully accessible and pay and display parking is available directly opposite the venue.
- An at seat pre-order service for refreshments will be available – please contact the venue on 01227 634886 or email at [email protected] for further info.
Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the team if you have any questions, you can contact the office on 01227 452853 or email [email protected]